University Pierre et Marie Curie, Sorbonne Universities, Professor
French National Center for Scientific Research, Senior Research Fellow
National University of Singapore, SoC, Full Professor (adjunct)
Professor at the University Pierre et Marie Curie, Sorbonne Universities and Senior Research Fellow at the French National Center for Scientific Research, I am Adjunct Professor at the National University of Singapore and Director of the international joint lab IPAL.
My researches focus on:
- Symbolic/Semiological Cognitive Vision approaches, enabling
- Intelligent, Cognitive-based Diagnosis and Prognosis Assistance using BioMedical Image as a biomarker and Medical Ontologies and Reasoning as suport / guide
- Knowledge-Based Visual Reasoning Systems for High-throughput High-content biomedical image Visualization, Exploration, Analysis, Interpretation and Understanding
- Content and Context Based BioMedical Image Indexing and Retrieval
Coordinator of the project MICO "COgnitive MIcroscopy for breast cancer grading" funded by the French National Research Agency (ANR - TecSan : Technology for Health) I am also Work Package leader (Imaging and Semantics) in the FlexMIm project funded by the Single Interministerial Fund (FUI - Fonds Unitaires Interministériels, Grand Emprunt) French Ministry of Industry (MINEFE).
I have also the pleasure to be a partner of the A*STAR (Agency for Science Technology and Research Singapore) JCO (Joint Council Office) project entitled IAMS: "Integrated Autonomous Microscopy System", after being involved in the recent A*STAR/JCO project ICV4NSC : "An Intelligent Vision System for Quantitative Microscopy in Neural Stem Cells Progenitor Growth and Differentiation" (2009-2013).
More details on his personal web pages
Scientific Challenge : Cognitive Medical Imaging
Translational challenges related to the proposed themes
- Integrated Virtual Cognitive Microscopy and Microscopy Mining
- Research challenge: in Vivo/vitro - in Silico - in Cognito paradigm
- Context: visual reasoning for histopathology images exploration (whole slide images, high-content imaging)
- Applcation: breast cancer grading, prostate cancer and chronic intestinal inflammation
- Neural Stem Cells tracking and modeling for drug testing.
- Research challenge: dynamic coupling between analysis and synthesis
- Application: drug testing for elaboration of new treatments of neurodegenerative diseases and (neural) stem cells fate prediction and differentiation
- Medical image conceptualization for early detection, diagnosis and prognosis : Multimodal image indexing & analysis for early detection
- Research challenge: bridge the semantic gap in image semantic indexing
- Early detection of hyperacute Middle Cerebral Artery Stroke (modality: brain CT)
- Parkinson’s Disease Prognosis (brain MRI DTI modalities fusion)
- BioMedical Image Analys, Exploration and Understanding
- Content-Based BioMedical Image Indexing and Retrieval
- Diagnosis and Prognosis
- Pattern Recognition
- Symbolic Cognitive Vision
- MICO: "COgnitive MIcroscope: A cognition-driven visual explorer for histopathology. Application to breast cancer grading"
- Granted by the Technologies for Health program (TecSan - Technologies pour la Santé) of the French National Research Agency (Agence Nationale de la Recherche - ANR);
- Partners: LIP6 - UPMC, TRIBVN (SME, Paris), THALES-TCF, Pitié-Salpêtrière Hospital, Paris and AGFA Healthcare France;
- Duration 3 years (2011-2014) ; Personal role : Principal Investigator (Coordinator).
- FUI FlexMIm: Collaborative Digital Pathology
- Funded by the Single Interministerial Fund (FUI - Fonds Unitaires Interministériels, Grand Emprunt) French Ministry of Industry (MINEFE)
- Project involving Orange Heathcare, Tribvn (SME), Pertimm (SME), the University Pierre and Marie Curie, the Univ. Paris Diderot and the Assistance publique – Hôpitaux de Paris, thepublic hospital system (établissement public de santé) of the city of Paris and its suburbs (AP-HP).
- Duration: 3 years (2013-2016) ; Personal role: Co-PI and “Image & Semantics” WP manager.
- IMS: A suite of integrated microscopy systems for imaging anatomies of complex 3D cell culture systems
- Project funded by A*STAR/CCO (Cross Council SERC-BMRC/A*STAR) Singapore
- Project involving IPAL and three A*STAR institutes (the Institute for Infocomm Research I2R/SERC, the Bioinformatic Institute BII/BMRC, the Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology IMCB/BMRCand the Institute of Medical Biology IMB/BMRC)
- Duration: 3 years (2013 – 2016)
Major past projects:
- IVS4NSC - "An Intelligent Vision System for Quantitative Microscopy in Neural Stem Cells Progenitor Growth and Differentiation"
- Project funded by A*STAR/CCO (Cross Council SERC-BMRC/A*STAR) Singapore Involving three A*STAR institutes (Institute for Infocomm Research I2R/SERC, Bioinformatic Institute BII/BMRC and the Institute of Medical Biology IMB/BMRC)
- Duration: 2009 – 2012 (3 years)
- IC0604 - EURO-TELEPATH -“Telepathology Network in Europe”
- COST (European Cooperation in Science and Technology) action, FP6
- Partners : Spain, France, Germany, Grece, Italy, Switzerland, Croatia, Finland, Lithuania, Nederland, Norway, Poland, Portugal, United Kingdom.
- Objective : network of excellence in hystopathology, virtual microscopy and telepathology
- Duration 2007-2011 (4 years)
- MMedWeb (Multimedia Medical Conceptual Web for Intelligent Information Access)
- A*STAR – SERC grant - Science & Engineering Research Council, Agency for Science, Technology and Research – Singapore
- Partners: CNRS, NUS, I2R/A*STAR, Nat. Univ. Hospital (NUH), National Healthcare Group, Singapore General Hospital (SGH)
- Duration: 2007-2010 (3 years); role : co-Principal Investigator
- ONCO-MEDIA (Ontology and COntext related MEdical image Distributed Intelligent Access)
- 6th ICT-ASIA programme
- 11 International partners from Singapore (IPAL/NUS/I2R), France (CREATIS, LIRIS, LIP6, I3S, FEMTO-ST), Switzerland (UNIGE), Taiwan (NTU), Philippine (ATENEO), Japan (CIGG);
- Duration of the project: 2007/2008 and 2009/2010 (2 years); role : Principal Investigator
- PROTEUS (a generic platform for e-maintenance)
- FP5 European Integrated Project of ITEA program (Information Technology for European Advancement)
- 14 European industrial and academic partners (France; Germany, Belgium)
- Duration : 2002-2005 (3 years)
- NEMOSYS (Naval E-Maintenance Oriented SYStem)
- Granted by DCNS Direction des Constructions Navales Services, France.
- 6 French industrial and academic partners
- Duration: 2004-2006 (2 years)